Friday 31 May 2013

New Wheels

Hi guys!

Well! Where do I start... I have had a palaver of a morning. Yesterday I gave the hospital where I am having my surgery done a call as I still haven't been given a time for my appointment on Monday. On speaking to my surgeons secretary she had no clue who I was or whether I was NHS or not. On top of that when I explained to her the situation she was very confused and asked who told me I had an appointment as I in fact do not. You did my dear. Of course on hearing that she was the person who has been giving me all this information for the past three weeks she started to back track and said someone would call me today to organise it all.
So this morning my lovely Dad gives them a call to try and get it sorted, at which point we find out that lovely secretary has gone on holiday and not only that but there is no record of me on their system at all. No notes, no letters, nothing. Safe to say I was livid. I have been waiting a month to see my surgeon and have slowly been getting worse and worse. This is when Mum and Dad kicked in to super parent mode and after hours of many phone calls between the two hospitals and talking to some actually very helpful people, I am now finally booked in to see my surgeon on Monday. Phew!
Due to all sorts of reasons I already have a huge distrust of the medical team, my consultant is the only exception, this has just confirmed my worries and doesn't make me feel very confident in what is going on. There are some amazing people working behind the scenes at the NHS, who bend over backwards to help you, however, some should not have their jobs. It is absolutely shocking! It's bad that I now don't believe anything is going to happen until I am sat in front of them, given these are the people who are supposed to be looking after me.

I also have some VERY EXCITING NEWS!
I have got myself a sexy new set of wheels. After being stuck in the house for days and in bed for most of that we have decided to hire a wheelchair to get me out and about. The crutches are okay for short distances but wheels is what I need. We have got hold of one from a charity which is brilliant, I can now be whizzed down the high street whenever I fancy. I'm not sure who is more excited, me or Matt!
The fix of anti inflammatory cream and painkillers has meant my knee is a lot more bearable, which is fantastic news. I am still unable to walk or drive but I at least today I got downstairs and on to my sun lounger and can now just about roll over in bed. Today I ventured out of the house for the first time in ages, and was pushed by Matt round PC World, he got to distracted he left me in the middle of isle. Luckily! I can push myself too but I think we are going to both need a bit of practice on this one.



My consultant also wants my joints to be seen by a Rheumatologist to see whats going on and make sure it's nothing un expected or sinister. I am sure they are lovely people but my last encounter with one of 'them' ended in him sticking a 2 inch needle into my knee and extracting 4 pots of fluid, with no pain relief. Now I am not one to swear but I sure did that time... he assured me not to worry as he's had grown men faint having it done but every time I see him wandering the hospital corridors I still want to apologise again. Safe to say I am not looking forward to meeting with them next week...

I was also visited yesterday by my lovely Cho, or to most Jess. She is soon off to Oz for a year and I am going to miss her terribly. We have been friends since we were 8, thats 13 or so years of love! I was stuck in bed, so she came and made herself comfy and we chatted for a couple of hours. It was so nice to have some contact with the outside world and really cheered me up.

Whilst I have been stuck in bed my poor family & Matt have had to wait on my every need. Food is served on a tray and drinks, medication & hot water bottles are always being provided! An excellence service I must say! Dad delivered this lovely tray a few days ago.


& Mum came home with some lovely, cheerful flowers for my room yesterday. They are one of my favourites and they really brightened up my day!



More news soon I'm sure!
Thank you all so much,
Lots of love
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment