Thursday 2 May 2013

Oh Hey!


Hi Everyone, 
Despite my love of reading other peoples blogs, I have never written one myself so apologies if this turns in to big, rambling heap of rubbish. 
I have decided to start this blog for a few reasons, 
  1. I am incredibly bored. I have been spending a lot of my time recently stuck at home, with no energy or will power to do much at all. I thought this blog might be a good way to keep me busy rather than constantly bugging my parents and poor boyfriend for entertainment and attention. 
  2. Now bowels are not something many people like to talk about it, despite the fact that we all poo and fart, it is still a No-No subject for most (my best friend Becky is the only exception). Due to this, Crohn’s is also not something people know about, us lucky lot who are blessed with a bowel disease (IBD), are never quite sure whether on the mention of symptoms, side effects and complications, people won’t run in the opposite direction to be sick. I hope that by being open about Crohn’s, it might one day become okay to talk about... even if it is just amongst my nearest and dearest. 
  3. This disease changes all the time, every week I seem to have a new medication or plan of action and I lose track of who I have updated. By logging all the updates, my friends and family can hopefully get a better understanding without me having to repeat everything ten times over. 
  4. I am also incredibly lucky to have some amazing opportunities. Over the past few years I have interned as much as I can and want to keep everyone updated on the mad life of a fashion intern. As well as spreading the joy and love of things I wear, buy, eat and bake...
  5. And finally, I hope to show everyone that you can live with a life long disease and still do what you want in life. My dream is to join one of the most image conscious, cut throat industries; fashion. Now, bowel disease and fashion are not a marriage made in heaven, but I will show that it can be done and that a chronic disease does not have to define you, or take over your life. 
I hope I don’t bore you half to death or make you feel sorry for me, that is the last thing I want (I don’t do well with sympathy), and even if you only visit the blog once, I hope it’ll be a bit of an eye opener... 
Thanks so much for reading, 
Lots of love x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gabi
    i have been reading your blog with much interest. I was diagnosed with Crohn's at the age of 21 (I'm now 33) and also part way through a degree. I have had an operation where they removed the last part of my small intestine. I was lucky enough to have it reconnected but the surgery itself was life-changing. Living with constant pain before the operation in itself wasn't great(!) but that coupled with the type of illness, associated tests and side effects it comes with makes it all the worse, especially when you are a young woman. I am still on medication but my Crohn's is managed at the moment so I consider myself lucky. I also graduated and have since graduated in post-graduate studies. I am currently having tests for a secondary arthritic condition so will see how that goes! I, like you, have a very supportive partner. My husband puts up with a lot in relation to my health and some days I don't know what I would do without him, or my family. So really this message is just to say, keep up the good work with the blog, keep positive and I wish you all the best.
    I would be happy to be in contact so feel free to contact me on kellyboast80@gmail.com
    All the best
    Kelly
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      Thank you very much, I hope you are still doing well! it is so brilliant that after everything you are able to have some remission! I know how you feel, in regards to your other half!, I wonder how Matt puts up with it all!
      Thanks so much for your message, I really appreciate your support, thank you.
      Gabi x

      Delete