Wednesday 10 July 2013

Happy

Hey Guys,

I have had a bit of turn around in the past week. The new diet is working a treat and the pain is a lot better. I had the best weekend in a long time, I think the sun makes a big difference to everything. I headed to my old school's fete and then went shopping with Mum on the Saturday and Sunday was spent walking the dogs, sitting in a pub garden, watching Murray with Wimbledon and then having a BBQ. Matt had most of the weekend off which was so lovely - he is working so hard at the moment. I have spent as much time as I can in the sun, I will no doubt have the oddest tan lines thanks to Margaret.


It was a lovely few days, and as I sat there in my garden waiting for the BBQ I really did feel really happy. I realised that the last time I remember feeling completely happy was my birthday, 4th October 2012, the day before my horrific flexi-sigmoidoscopy experience. Of course there have been happy times, I have laughed and had good days but I haven't felt completely happy in the moment, about the future and everything in general since then.

The new bags have unfortunately been a bit of a nightmare, I went through four of them in about two days. Within hours they had peeled off.


Obviously this is not what you want to happen given what said bag is collecting...
Different bags work for different people and there are lots of factors involved, such as you skin type and sensitivity and the size and shape of your stoma. This means that despite this one not agreeing with me I'm sure I'll find another option. I keep forgetting I am only five weeks post op and it is still early days. Next week I am going to head to the hospital to have a look at different bag options to hopefully find one which works.

Yesterday I saw my stoma nurse again, at clinic. The pain has been getting better so I haven't been as aware of Margaret. We took the bag off to have a look and she is a bit sore and raw looking. It was again quite sore when being cleaned but I guess it is all baby steps. The wound is continuing to heal, which is great but I have now got two spots on the wound site. To me they look like white heads, but they bleed and are quite sore when you touch them. At least my nurse has seem them though so there is someone keeping an eye on it all, hopefully they don't turn in to anything more serious. Strangely the painful area isn't where the 'spout' is but around the opposite side where I have damaged skin and where the stitch ripped. For now there is nothing I can do but apply my healing paste and powder and hope for the best!

I have also been a bit of a social butterfly so far this week! I have met up with lots of different lovely friends and seeing more tomorrow. I can't tell you how good it is to get out and be 'normal'.
I have also been getting my Mary on! Yes, she is back, for the first time in over two months I baked again! I made 24 cookies for Matt and Sean for when they are at work and a batch of lacto free cupackes for me!



Speaking of lactofree I would like to say a huge thank you to the company, Lactofree, for the wonderful vouchers they sent me. Their products are a complete life saver and taste amazing. My family can't taste the difference and some products are even nicer than the dairy version! I especially love their vanilla ice cream! So big thank you to them. 


I have also gotten back to painting my nails. This was something I used to do ALL the time; I would never be seen without polished nails. My favourite current colours are Peppermint and UltraViolet by Rimmel. I am also obsessed by the Barry M colour range and the nude/pink shades of Revlon. There is something about having your nails done that makes you feel lovely even if you have had no sleep, look a state and are in pain. 



My over flowing tool box of nail polishes. 


Peppermint and UltraViolet
& the return of my lovely feet...

Having my nails painted and baking clearly shows that I am getting back to my usual self! The main problem at the moment is how tired I am, I am regularly sleeping 14 hours a night which is ridiculous. I am struggling to fall asleep every night and I still have to wake up 2-3 times to sort out Margie, but once I am asleep I am spark out. I am having to set an alarm if I need to be up before 1:00pm which is ridiculous! I hope this does get better as time goes on, and in time for my next internship come September!
I don't know how many people know but I will be interning at British Vogue! This has been my dream since I was 8 years old, I even sent a letter to Vogue aged 15 asking for work experience. I still don't think I have gotten over the fact I will be working there in just a few months time. I will of course be keeping you all updated with mine and Margaret's experience & what we wear!

One of my guest pieces has been posted on the lovely Steph's blog (you met her on Monday). I talk about my Crohn's story, from diagnosis to now. If you fancy having a read of my guest piece and the rest of her wonderful blog check it out HERE.
Thank you Steph for being so so lovely and always so supportive. 


I will leave you with news that fellow Crohn's sufferer and amazing magician, Dynamo, tweeted about my blog which is brilliant! It is so exciting when high profile sufferers spread the word about the disease!
Thank you all for continuing to support me! I am so so grateful!

Lots of love 
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment