Monday 12 August 2013

Pick your own & Exercise

Hi Guys,

So I have had a really brilliant weekend.
Friday night Matt and I headed out for dinner on our date night which was so lovely. We had such a laugh! We got a lift there from my Mum, which made us both feel 16 again. Given we both drive it is rare that we ever get a lift anywhere! Matt ordered me a white win spritzer and I am ashamed to say, half a glass down and I was starting to feel rather tipsy. I don't know what came over me, but the small amount of alcohol really hit me. Matt found this hilarious as I tried to absorb the wine with bread and olives. We had arrived at 6:30, which is ridiculously early for dinner, but I was starving. By 7 we had decided that after dinner we would head to town to have a couple of drinks. 
Although we had planned to walk in to town, which would have taken about 45 minutes, we eventually got a lift from my Dad as he was picking up my brother from work. We arrived in town and headed to an old favourite pub/bar to meet Jo and Nashy. We caught up with the lovely Sarah and her boyfriend Shawn for a while before my typically late friends showed up. Towards the end of the night, it ended up being just Matt and I again. Lucky for us we got a lift home from Matts stepbrother, Andy! No taxi or walking for us! 



Me in Andy's Burger King uniform hat

I woke up Saturday morning with Matt suggesting we headed to a local farm to pick our own berries. It was a beautiful day so off we went. I had the best time! I am such a fruit fan and it was great to do something different. Matt and I walked up and down lines and lines of berries, whilst I spent my time filling our baskets, Matt spent most of the time filling his tummy. How he didn't throw up I don't know.
After about an hour of picking in the sunshine we headed inside to browse through the isles at the gorgeous farm shop... very dangerous! There wasn't a food stand we went past where we didn't want to buy something. In fact we did three laps of the place and left with a basket of yummy foods for lunch. 





My plan is to make a mixed berry crumble for the family with all the berries!

Sunday was spent with some family friends and Dads old work colleagues in a pub garden. I became great friends with a 7 year old who loves Harry Potter nearly as much as I do. I swear I could have sat and chatted for hours with her! 
Below are a few more photos from my weekend!


Matt trying not to get wet at his Mums!


Jakey as puppy dog, the day we got him.

This afternoon I completed my first cardio work out in a year! I have to say I am pretty proud of myself. I have done a few gentler work outs such as pilates but had yet to get the heart pumping! I don't know what possessed me but I decided to head out on a run. As I have said before, it is my aim to be able to run The London Marathon in 2015. I am currently so un fit I definitely need to start training now! It felt good to actually get my body moving but it really did exhaust me. I know I need to take it easy and that technically Im not supposed to start proper exercise until I am 3 months post op, but I hate not being able to do what I want. Exercise is something that I will one day slowly be able to get back to! There is no reason why having Margaret will stop me doing any exercise. I have always tried to be extremely positive about having a stoma and have always known and believed it would never stop me doing anything. It is very exciting that I am starting to get back to my usual, healthy self! 
Many people choose to wear abdominal bands around their tummies (I have shown you one of them in previous post) or special stoma underwear when doing exercise. If I were to do a contact support then extra protection is definitely necessary however I choose to just wear and dress as I would before the stoma and so far have had no issues! 



After my run!

Tonight I am off to see some friends before having a very busy week, working and spending some time with the family! I will of course be updating you all. 

Lots of love
XXX

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good few days! Love reading your blog as always. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exercise is no problem - I still fenced when I had my stoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah brilliant! I cant wait to get my fitness up and be able to do everything I want!
      x

      Delete