Tuesday 19 May 2015

IBD Day - Book for Crohn's

Hi guys!

So today is not only World IBD Day but is also the day that a fantastic book is being launched. 'Book for Crohn's' is a new book that looks at Crohn's Disease from a different point of view, that of the Crohn's community. It is a book compiled by Crohn's sufferers, their Dr's and their loved ones.

When I was first diagnosed I did what we are all told not to do, headed to good old Google and scared myself half to death. Everyone has a different approach to these things but I was itching for as much information as I could get my hands on. I wanted to know every medication, every possible outcome and worst case scenario. I felt like I was preparing myself for anything that could be thrown at me and although in many ways I believe it helped me get my head round it all, it was also pretty terrifying. The internet is FULL of horror stories. Naturally people tend to write about their negative experiences, only posting on forums when things are tough. When things are going great, you don't feel the need to reach out to others for support in the same way. As I read through pages and pages of information, forums & stories, I struggled to work out if what I was reading was 'the norm' or not. At that time and at many times since my diagnosis, I wish I had had this book.

Book forCrohns is filling a gap that is greatly needed. Answering all the questions that you wonder as a newly diagnosed Crohnie. The book starts with looking at Crohn's from the a medical stand point, discussing the basic symptoms as well as areas such as diet, surgery, lifestyle, sex and medical treatment. This is done in the least scary or dramatic way and doesn't fill clinical in the way many medical information sites can feel.
This is followed by looking at Crohn's from the perspective of those living with the disease. This I feel is one of the best aspects of the book. These stories are fantastic, from diagnosis to every day life and going through surgery, employee rights to having a relationship with the disease and it's psychological impact. It tackles Crohn's from all angles. There are also accounts from the loved ones, giving such an amazing insight into how the disease effects everyone else, something which I think is largely ignored! A medical view is also given throughout the book allowing the reader to have a much deeper understanding of each topic. The whole book acts as a complete guide to living with the disease.

I could not recommend the book enough, especially if either you or a loved one has had a recent Crohn's diagnosis. Even us long time sufferers would benefit from having a read! I'm going to be giving it to my parents, to get their perspective but I think they would have really benefited from reading the section written by and for children and young adults with the disease during mine and my brothers diagnosis.

A huge, huge plus point is that all profits from the sale of the book will be going towards funding further research into the disease. I've added a link below to Amazon, where you can buy the book online. I hope that it helps some of you and you find it as positive as I did!

Lots of love
XXX

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Crohns-Written-community/dp/1500601691




No comments:

Post a Comment